Sticky or Crispy Beef Short Ribs in Foundation Asian Master Stock
1. 1.2kg beef short ribs (choose ribs that have a good meat to fat ratio)
2. 1 Litre Foundation Asian Master Stock Base
3. 4 bunches Bok choy or other Asian greens
4. Oil, ginger, chilli and garlic for the crispy version
5. Julienned spring onions for garnish
6. Bowl of steamed Jasmine rice to serve
Season all sides of the short ribs with salt and pepper.
Heat a heavy, oven-safe pot over high heat. Add in olive oil and allow to heat briefly. Sear short ribs in olive oil, about 1 minute per side. Remove from pot and set aside.
Pour in Asian Master Stock and bring to the Simmer
Add in short Ribs
Cover and transfer to preheated oven for about 2.5 hours, until meat is tender.
Take the meat out of the stock and set aside. If the ribs weren’t already cut into individual portions, do so now.
Reduce the remaining stock by half.
For the “sticky” version, put the meat back in the reduced stock and reduce the liquid further, coating the ribs with it until very sticky.
For the “crispy” version heat oil in a wok/frypan, add some ginger, garlic and pepper and the meat. Stir-fry ribs quickly until the meat becomes crispy. You can add some of the reduced stock as well.
Steam greens and rice.
Serve on a platter by placing ribs on greens, drizzle Asian Master Stock sauce on ribs and garnish with some finely cut spring onions.
Serve alongside bowl of rice.